Jaja is a consumer finance business, launching its first product, a digital credit card, in 2018. Since then it has grown rapidly and has recently completed the acquisition of a £530m credit card portfolio from the Bank of Ireland. With backing from several major Private Equity funds, Jaja has an ambitious growth strategy that includes providing consumer finance in partnership with leading consumer brands, with a number of partnerships secured alongside an exciting pipeline of opportunities.
Jaja is on a mission to redefine the consumer finance experience and liberate customers from needless complexity, wasted time, and frustration. Or as we say it, Make Simple. We will delight our customers – making the customer experience simpler, more enjoyable, more intelligent – treating customers fairly and giving them more control of their money.
Description of the Business Unit
The Technology team is responsible for making sure that Jaja customers receive fantastic service in a simple, efficient and effective way. We do this by developing leading edge technology, being knowledgeable about our business, and having a passion for delivering great customer service. We relentlessly look for improvements in the way we run our business.
- JaJa operates two client presentation layers through Mobile Native App’s (Kotlin & Swift) and Web Self Service Portals utilising AngularJS
- We host a microservices architecture build with Java Spring Boot Framework using REST API and Kafka as their communication layers
- We currently use AWS as a PaaS but run a vendor agnostic core tech platform that is built to be natively multi-cloud
- JaJa actively runs a CI/CD pipeline to build our docker images that run on our self-scaling Kubernetes clusters
- We adopt an Agile delivery framework in terms of Scrum with focus on feature delivery teams
Purpose of the Role
Our Engineering Squad Lead supports the Business by providing outstanding leadership and subject matter expertise to our business to ensure that Jaja achieves its ambitious growth strategy.
What’s the opportunity?
You will work in a dynamic fast paced environment, delivering a significant change agenda for a business that is shaking up the Consumer Finance industry. Working with a passionate set of colleagues who excel at delivery you will have a varied and interesting portfolio of activity that is not constrained by the status quo.
- Manage and co-ordinate technology activities ensuring quality service and effective support for all internal and external customers.
- Technology & Digital Transformation in line with the Business strategy, Technology roadmap and within budget.
- Building high performing, quality driven Technology Teams focused on cultural awareness and collaboration.
- Programme Management and Governance, reviewing and recommend new methods and procedures to make daily technology operations more efficient.
- Maintain stabilisation, quality and operational efficiency.
- Achieve key KPIs to increase efficiency and drive down IT Opex through Technology transformation, cultural awareness and collaboration between teams
- Participate in the development and enhancement of equipment and/or training procedures or programs which will support products and/or services participate in project task forces or to represent the department on training or systems needs.
- Interface with other departments, regions, vendors, agencies, etc. to resolve technical issues, following up with resolution of problems to ensure timely response.
- Maintain knowledge of all products and services offered and keep informed of new or changing developments, products, services or ideas which would affect Technology.
- Champion Technology innovation for smarter ways of working through new tooling concepts aligned to Dev, App/Infra Architecture and Test/QA.
- Demonstrable ability to be a strategic, business-oriented, critical thinker who can effectively develop and implement a variety of Technology and business strategies.
Essential skills and Experience
- Previous experience in leading Technology led programmes across Banking and/or Financial Services, preferably with skills learnt in a well reputed consultancy firm.
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Evidence of delivery and execution focus within a demanding environment whilst managing conflicting priorities.
- Experience of development of Technology business solutions and / or proposition design.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience working in Credit Card industry.
- Working experience in all standard Technology programme support software and tools including SaaS, Cloud Platforms, AI, Micro Services, App & Infra Architecture, Blockchain, Agile, DevOps – CI, CD, CF, CT.
What's in it for you?
The chance to make a real impact in a growing start-up on a mission to change the face of the consumer finance industry forever.
Hand brewed Scandinavian style coffee served fresh from Jaja Bar every day
Friday drinks and social Jaja Sessions where lofty ideas are rewarded
More exciting benefits you will hear about when we talk